Location: Premier Mine Site, 25 kms.
Northeast of Stewart, British Columbia
Job Opportunity: Full-time
Closing Date: Open until filled
Reporting to the Chief Mine Geologist, the Senior Geologist is responsible for production geology support and services for Ascot Resources during the construction, commissioning, and into production of the site. The Senior Geologist will foster a health and safety culture of Zero Harm while ensuring compliance with provincial and federal regulations.
To be successful we are looking for someone with a strong safety work ethic, is responsible, accountable, and dependable, and has strong leadership and team-building skills with the ability to build positive and respectful relationships with a diverse workforce. Someone who has knowledge of the attributes of ore, soil, minerals, and other materials, the ability to supervise, train, coach, mentor, and motivate others, and the ability to problem solve and think critically, identifying trends and risks, and implementing effective solutions. You have strong project management and analytical skills, strong interpersonal and report writing and verbal communication skills, and the ability to perform physical tasks including standing, bending, and moving for long periods of time; lifting and moving up to 50 lbs. throughout a shift in a fast-paced environment. Someone who has the ability to be highly flexible and prioritize multiple tasks with good time management skills, strong attention to detail, quality of work, and the ability to work independently and in a team environment. You have the ability to work in conditions exposed to the elements (snow, rain, sub-freezing weather, heat, and wind), and knowledge and understanding of environmental and safety provincial and federal legislation; and safety and environmental standards and legislation pertaining to the mining industry.
Stewart, British Columbia, is a unique border town that boasts small-town charm and offers unparalleled outdoor opportunities including chartered fishing and sightseeing, hiking and fishing, glaciers and bear viewing, and much more.
Key Job Functions:
• Plans, design, and execute ongoing geology projects such as Geometallurgical Drill Programs, Wall Structural Mapping, Alteration Bench/Blasthole Chip Mapping, Resource Drilling, and Horizontal Drain Hole Design.
• Provide geological, and technical assistance to the Mine Operations, Engineering, and Exploration teams.
• Designs and coordinates the exploration, infill, and production drilling management program with all stakeholders.
• Analyze and perform reconciliation between short and long-term models. Provide insight on model performance and recommendations for model improvements.
• Ensure high data quality by managing, monitoring, and maintaining geological data, drill, and core logs, sample and survey databases, and implementing data checks and validation.
• Train, mentor, and provide technical support to the geology staff in mapping, grade control, geological modeling, resource modeling, and reconciliation practices/performance.
• Analyses the composition of samples and measures and tests rocks, soil, ore, and other materials with the proper instruments. Offer oversight and guidance for continuous improvement to ore control procedures and processes.
• Investigates and evaluates natural resource deposits and studies sites for developments, formations, hazards, and composition.
• Consults on various geology-related issues like waste management and resource management and ensures the site meets environmental and other regulations.
• Develop reports for stakeholders interpreting geological data.
• Lifts heavy loads up to 50 lbs. and navigates construction job site terrain.
• Keeps updated with industry best practices and new technologies to improve overall safety and efficiency of the operation.
• Upholds and follows safety policies, procedures, regulations, and hazard identification, and promotes safety awareness through day-to-day attitudes and actions.
• Utilizes safeguards, safety appliances, and personal protective equipment or devices.
• Adjusts and establishes daily tasks to meet changing orders of priorities and performs other related duties as required.
• Ability to work in a remote camp environment.
• Ability to work in conditions exposed to the elements (snow, rain, sub-freezing weather, heat, and wind).
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this classification.
Required Education/Professional Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Geological Engineering or Geology.
• Registered or eligible to register as a Professional Geoscientist or GIT with EGBC.
• Minimum of 10+ years progressive work experience as a Geologist, with at least one year of Supervisory experience.
• Mining experience or soft rock experience with various geological techniques like mining, boring, and numerical modeling would be considered assets.
• Computer proficiency with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite, 3-D modeling software, geological database software, and mapping software are an asset.
• Valid Class 5 BC driver’s license or equivalent.
An equivalent combination of education, skills, and experience may be considered.
Employment opportunities are awarded to the most suitable candidate for the position while striving to assemble a diverse workforce and inclusive culture for all employees. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution. Premier Mine site is located on Nisga’a Treaty Land, and through a Benefits Agreement, has agreed to provide Nisga’a citizens with hiring priority where candidates are otherwise considered equally qualified. The successful candidate will be required to cross the USA land border to access the site, therefore the required travel documentation including a passport will be required.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this exciting opportunity; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
• Please note that this is a 2-week on/2-week off, fly-in/fly-out position.
• Supervising: 1 year (preferred) • progressive Geologist work: 10 years (preferred)
• Professional Geoscientist or GIT with EGBC (preferred)
Work Location: In person