Junior Geophysicist / Geophysics Field Tech.
SEEKING: EXTRAORDINARY JUNIOR GEOPHYSICIST / GEOPHYSICS TECHNOLOGIST
Due to the high demand for precious metals and our expanding business activities, Initial Exploration
Services Inc. (IES) is seeking an experienced, committed, and professional Junior Geophysicist /
Initial Exploration Services is a well established, global leader in safely executing ground and borehole
geophysics surveys; we work primarily in the mineral exploration industry. IES uses innovative
technology, proven data acquisition techniques, and the latest software to give our valued clients the
most accurate and precise geophysical data possible.
IES has been safely exploring since 1991 and we are often engaged specifically for challenging projects in
extreme wilderness environments, in harsh climates, and in culturally sensitive regions around the
world. We have completed projects in the high Arctic, the jungles of West and Central Africa, the
foothills of Mexico, the rain forests of Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, and Fiji, the fjords of Greenland, the deserts
of the Western Sahara, Morocco, Yemen, and Oman, the outback of Australia, the Italian Aps and
IES is committed to the health and safety of everyone on a project. We respect the environment we
explore, and we are dedicated to the communities we work with. We have developed our own, in-house
safety protocols (S.A.F.E.) and standard operating procedure which have been audited by our junior
exploration and major mining clients alike. Safety has been ingrained into the culture of our company’s
employees, consultants, and contractors.
Standard Requirements to Work on our Team:
1. Extreme Physical Fitness: You can carry an uncomfortable 15 kg pack through thick bush, thigh
deep swamps, and waist deep snow kind of fit.
Do not read any further if you are not physically fit. Your safety and the safety of the crew
depends on your ability to make it home after a long day of hiking in the remote wilderness.
2. Basic Electrical & Basic Mechanical Aptitude: You can trouble-shoot sensitive geophysical
equipment and keep small engines working. (sleds, quads, side-by-sides, outboard motors, etc.).
3. Professional Suitability: You are thoroughly organized, meticulously accurate, rigidly systematic,
and detail orientated. (It is always the small things that throw the biggest wrenches into a
4. Personal Suitability: You are dependable, presentable, respectful, independently motivated,
and trustworthy, a team player with sound judgement. IES employees are required to adhere to
the specific Health & Safety requirements of each individual Client and to our own in-house
Health & Safety programs.
5. Situationally Aware: You are either situationally aware of your surroundings or you are not. This
will be evident early in the field and there is a 3-month probation period.
6. IES has a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY for:
• Drug and alcohol abuse. Due to some site entrance requirements, the successful
candidate may be required to undergo pre-employment and ongoing site access drug
and alcohol testing.
• Horse play on sleds, quads, side-by-sides, boats or any other motorized vehicles.
Your safety and the safety of our crews are paramount.
ABOUT THE POSITION OF JUNIOR GEOPHYSICIST
Minimum Qualifications to Work on our Team:
• Fluent in the English language – spoken and written.
• Based in Canada or legally able to work in Canada.
• A minimum 5 years of ground geophysics or related geoscience field work. (Preference will be
given to applicants with a Bachelor of Science degree in Geophysics or Earth Science or a related
• Experience/familiarity with a wide variety geophysical instrument operation.
• Assist with data processing, analysis, and reporting using commercial software including Geosoft
Oasis Montaj, Maxwell, QGIS, and Microsoft Office.
• Operate, maintain, and calibrate geophysical equipment.
• Willing to travel nationally and globally for extended periods.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to advance within the company from data acquisition
in the field, to management of field crews, to processing a variety of geophysical data in the office. At
IES, you can expect to gain first-hand experience using the latest in geophysics and geomatics
technology and work in a wide variety of geophysical disciplines.
Our services include, but are not limited to:
1. Gravity. Using Scintrex CG5 and CG6 gravity meters. Processing data in Geosoft Oasis Montaj:
Gravity and Terrain Correction and Voxi.
2. Surface Electromagnetics. Using EMIT SmarTEM24 receivers, EMIT Fluxgate (b-field) surface
sensors, Geonics 3D-3 (db/dT) surface coils, Geonics and Phoenix transmitters. Processing data
3. Borehole Electromagnetics. Using EMIT SmarTEM24 receivers, Geonics BH43-3 probes, Geonics
and Phoenix transmitters. Processing data in Maxwell.
4. Ground magnetics. Using a variety of magnetometers. Processing in Geosoft.
5. Ground Radar. Using Sensors and Software antennas. Processing in Geolitix and Ekko Project
Previous experience with potential field and electromagnetic surveys are desirable; training is available.
We do not do seismic surveys and are not looking for seismic operators or seismic data processors.
Travel is required; up to six weeks on national projects and up to three months on international projects.
HOW TO APPLY
The quality of our employees is key to the continued success of IES in the resource exploration industry.
We have a long-standing reputation for providing excellent service to our clients worldwide. We do
what we say we are going to do when we say we are going to do it. Therefore, IES is committed to the
recruitment and retainment of the most highly trained and talented geophysical operators in the
industry, and we are willing to pay top dollar rates to keep them.
Interested candidates are requested to send a cover letter, along with a resume to: Initial Exploration
Services HR Department attention Alexandra Moir: [email protected]
We look forward to receiving your application, indicating your salary expectations and earliest possible
For more information, please visit www.initialexploration.com
We thank you in advance for expressing the interest to work for our company. However, due to limited
resources, we only contact you if we move forward with your job application.